Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Slave to Spirits


Dionysus was the god of the grape harvest, winemaking and wine, of ritual madness and ecstasy inGreek mythology. His name, thought to be a theonym in Linear B tablets as di-wo-nu-so shows that he may have been worshipped as early as c. 1500–1100 BC by Mycenean Greeks; other traces of the Dionysian-type cult have been found in ancient Minoan Crete.  -thanks Wikipedia!

I really doubt that Dionysus worship has fallen off the popular scene guys. Have you heard literally any songs for the club? Not any club, The Club, the one that everybody sings about...
Dionysus is still alive and kicking in our culture. And just like so many of our ancient vices that have stayed with us through the years, ultimately the worship of it will lead to ruin. We get so enamored with the imagery of fun and joy even though we see the flip side being so many lives totally jacked up by alcoholism. 
The apostle Paul, speaking to an audience in Corinth (a society that dealt with many of the same problems we do today) said, “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. Following Jesus has taken me from a life dominated by ritual madness and totally serving myself to a place where I can begin to echo the apostle saying, "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful...and I don't want to come under the dominating power of anything." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to say a little something.